News:

No significant change

Main Menu

Att bygga en bil

Started by griffin, March 07, 2007, 13:40:55

Previous topic - Next topic

griffin

Detta är från ett annat forum men kanske av tillräckligt intresse även här. Johan som bygger Viggensimulatorn har fler projekt på G. Bland annat detta.

During my last visit at Johan's place, I did not only manage to get some flight time logged in the 37 cockpit (actually - it is more of an accomplishment NOT to... being so close to the Viggensimulator without using it..) - I also had the opportunity to assist Johan in the initial phase of the construction of a race car simulator.

Well, race car simulator might be a little misleading. We're not talking about disassembling a real F1 Ferrari and reassembling it in Johans garage piece by piece ;)  But then again, Johan cannot just let things be simple and ordinary. Where most people would settle for a decent racing wheel and a set of pedals together with the office chair, Johan takes it a little bit further.

The goal is to have something neat looking, portable (as opposed to the Viggen which is considered.. well, movable) that can add to the increasing collection of joyrides at Johans place. Something a little bit more than an office chair with a racing wheel, but a little less ambitious than a fully featured fighter aircraft.

So, here's what we did when I was there. And that was just the warmup. Maybe, Johan can add some pics of current work in progress.

Step 1

Buy a quality racing wheel. Johans pick was a Logitech G25:

Step 2

Buy a comfortable racing chair. Something like this:

Step 3

Get a baseplate to put the chair on:

Step 4

Think some.

Step 5

Have a vision. Don't forget make sounds like car when imagin'. (Actually what we did here was to determine the distance between the chair and the pedal assembly)

Step 6

Tear apart the fancy and well made G25 pedal plate. Get out the good stuff (the pedals!) and smack'em onto the freshly made pedal plate. Be careful with the angle (to get the right momentum - very important for the feel of the pedals!). Do not forget the spacing. The default plate spaces the pedals evenly, in a car they are not evenly spaced...)

Step 7

Add some sidepanels and then something between them to attach the wheel to. Again, check the angle to get maximum comfort!

Step 8

Be sure to test the assembly with all racing sims on market to validate correct feel of the construction. :D

Summary

Well, this was actually just the constructioin of the chassis so to speak. After this Johan has added some instruments (that will connect to some selected sims using an interface) and some eyecandy to hide the ugly panels. And of course, Johan was not happy with the G25 gear shift so he made a complete new one to get the right feeling. More on that later, right Johan?

Actually, that fascinates me. I can relate to things like attaching panels together and placing a chair on a plate. That is quite ordinary. But building a gear shift is more of magic to me. I can understand how it's working but to actually make it... well well...

Thanks for the really fun visit Johan, it was cool to able to assist you!

cheers!

Jens
snappahead

Andreas

Kul!
Upplevelsen blir ju flera gånger större när man sitter i rätt miljö!

Om man bara hade plats och kunnandet... :-OO
MSI Z77A, Intel i5 3570K, MSI GTX 660 ti 2GB, 16 GB DDR 3 1600 MHz, OCZ SSD 120 GB, Seagate 1 TB
TM Cougar w/ Cubpilot\'s Hallsensor mod för joystick och throttle, IJ\'s ÃÅ"ber II NXT mod, SIMPED-F16/C, TIR 3 PRO

griffin

Ja, det är en grym skillnad. Vi provade ju först med vanlig stol och skribvord, sen några ggr under resans gång. Det blev väldigt påtagligt vilken skillnad det är. När man kom ned i racingstolen och fick pedaler och ratt på rätt nivå i förhållande till hur man satt blev det en helt annan sak. Det var en sak som gjorde det så kul att bygga, att märka skillnaden allteftersom.
snappahead

Nauwa

Här finns lite bilder på hur den ser ut idag, inte riktigt färdig än dock
http://www.novelair.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=51

Andreas

Schurre!!! Vilken bilsimulator är det i första hand tänkt att den ska användas tillsammans till?
MSI Z77A, Intel i5 3570K, MSI GTX 660 ti 2GB, 16 GB DDR 3 1600 MHz, OCZ SSD 120 GB, Seagate 1 TB
TM Cougar w/ Cubpilot\'s Hallsensor mod för joystick och throttle, IJ\'s ÃÅ"ber II NXT mod, SIMPED-F16/C, TIR 3 PRO

Nauwa

Tja, som det är nu så körs GTR2, GTL, LFS2, Richard Burns och Testdrive unlimited.
Men det är bara till LFS2 och RBR som i första hand vi avser att göra plugin för instrumentbrädan till, sen får vi se om man kan få lite hjälp från Simbin för att skaka liv i den till GTR2 och GTL också.

Brat

Vad som skulle behöva ändras för att en bilsimulator skulle bli ultimat är att flytta och förändra skaket i ratten till vinkeländring genom små kolvar under stolen, man kör ju en riktig bil med rumpan lika mycket som med ratten, små ändringar av stolens vinkel mot golvet (med eller utan resten av ditt bygge) skulle göra att man känner G-krafter, krafter som mer eller mindre tvärt släpper ändras när greppet släpper. Motstånd i ratten som minskar fungerar ju för framhjulssläpp men aldrig för gränsen där bakhjulen släpper.
-Brat

ft

Kanske samma stuk som i en hel del fixed-base flygsimulatorer, med kuddar i stolen som blåses upp, skulle vara något där. Det är en god idé, tror inte det behövs mycket rörelse för att ge den återmatningen.

Mvh,
 /Fredrik

Stercus accidit
---
Quando omni flunkus moritatus